Friday, December 11, 2009

Christmas Memories


From my childhood in Germany, I remember the ADVENT KALENDER. From December 1 to Christmas Eve day each number on the calendar had a little door (paper flap) and each day you would open one of the doors to a picture of the season: snowfall, Christmas ornaments, Angels, Stars, Candles, Cookies and so forth.

On Christmas Eve, we all (kids, parents, grandparents, uncles & aunts) gathered ‘round the WEIHNACHTSBAUM (Christmas Tree), exchanged gifts, wished each other happiness and sang LIEDER (songs) such as OH TANNENBAUM or HEILIGENACHT (Holy Night). One of my grandfathers played the mouth harmonica for background music. I can still smell it just thinking about it: apples and chestnuts roasting on the stove.

Peace to all,
Eric Carle

14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious Memories...thanks for sharing your family traditions.
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to you, Mr. Carle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful memories indeed, Mr. Carle.
    Thank you for sharing it with us.
    Happy Holidays to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you have been able to take your memories and integrate them into your work as an author and illustrator. Thanks for sharing with us! And thanks for allowing us to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your books and illustations make every day special dear Mr Carle. Thank you for that and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandfather came to the US from Germany. I love reading your memories from Germany, thanks for sharing some of those with us!
    Merry Christmas Mr. Carle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Eric,
    I simply love you.
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Mr. Carle,
    I love this painting.
    I so enjoy your blog.
    I absolutely adore you.
    I hope your Christmas was wonderful.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Mr.Eric
    Your blog and your book were very wonderful ,I absolutely adore you.
    Hope some day I can look like you ,has creative...
    happy new year^^

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful memories! I love the piece of your Santa sleeping in the chair as well!!
    MMmmmm... chestnuts and apples! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Term papers

    Wish You a Very Happy Mary Christmas.

    It’s a great post Man, you really are a good writer! I’m so glad someone like you have the time, efforts and dedication writing, for this kind of article… Helpful, Useful. Very nice post!

    Happy New Year, hope u had enjoy the whole occasion.

    Term papers

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Mr. Carle,
    We loved your Christmas memories. We really like your book The Very Hungry Catapillar, and how you made the pages. It was very funny. The book The Very Lonely Firefly reminds us of the song "Fireflies". We also like your book Pancakes, Pancakes, especially the front cover, with the smiley pancake face. The sound books are awesome. We all love all your work here at Ossipee Central School, Ossipee, NH, class 3B,

    ReplyDelete