Thursday, February 28, 2013

FRIENDS


I am delighted to share a sneak preview of my new book FRIENDS that will be available in bookstores later this year.

FRIENDS is a story inspired by more than one friendship in my own life, one that I had as a three year old boy, as a 6 year old taken by my parents to Germany, and another as a young man when I arrived back in the United States from Germany with my portfolio in hand. That was in 1952 when Leo Lionni was so kind to me, helping me to find work as a graphic designer and became my mentor. I have always believed that friendship is very important, I know it was for me as a child and I can still remember my strong attachments and feelings for my friends when I was a boy.

I will share more news about FRIENDS closer to its publication date, but I hope you will enjoy this sneak preview of the cover illustration!

8 comments:

  1. looking forward to this book about this great topic, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eric -- as a parent whose children were brought up on your books, I hope very much that children with disabilities/differences will be included in this book. Many recent studies show that the isolation of being ostracized, ignored and friendless (which is at levels that would never be accepted in the typical child population)is more painful for kids with disabilities than the extra challenges they face. Great topic you are addressing! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, there is a triumverate of children's picture book author/illustrators. Tomie di Paola, Leo Lionni and...yes...Eric Carle! This new book of yours will be a welcome addition to our Eric Carle bookshelf. Books that help young children deal with the many challenges they encounter are crucially important. Being a good friend is a skill every young child needs to learn.

    With World Read-Aloud Day fast approaching, I've done a review of one of your older books: "Slowy, Slowly, Slowy' said the Sloth: http://viviankirkfield.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/celebrating-world-read-aloud-day-with-eric-carle/
    because Eric Carle books are perfect read-alouds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm really really looking forward to this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Mr Carle. I'm a Spanish early teacher who uses your wonderful books for teaching English. Looking forward to grasping your FRIENDS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful insight. I can't wait to hear this story and better yet to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting! I am a huge fan of your work. I'm sure my Pre-K students will love it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looked at Ancestry.com's 1940 census for Pond Street in Syracuse. Could your friend have been Gloria Fazio?

    ReplyDelete