Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas Cookies

Dear Friends,

Happy Holidays!

While I wasn't raised in a religious family, we celebrated Christmas and there were certain rituals that coincided with this holiday that I still remember very well. Weeks ahead of Christmas both my grandmothers started baking cookies: SPRINGERLE HASELNUSSGUTSLE, STERNE, LEBKUCHEN, STOLLEN and other mouth watering creations - or should I say "tongue twisting" after you have attempted to pronounce the German names for all kinds of delicious goodies?

Then my grandmothers would hide the cookies. It was easy to figure out where they had hidden them, all you had to do was follow your nose. But that would lead you to a locked door! And you needed 2 keys. One for the locked door and a second key for a locked chest inside the locked room. Well, usually we grandchildren had a way of getting those keys. Then there was a lot of sneaking around and a greatly reduced stock of Christmas cookies on Christmas Eve!

Every year my grandmothers pretended that they were surprised and scolded us. And they were going to tell Saint Nicholas. But they never did and I suspect that they knew that cookie stealing was also part of Christmas. I guess they figured that some of the cookies were going to get "lost" and therefore made an extra batch or two.

Maybe you have a ritual in your family that you will remember for a long time as well!
Eric Carle

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your Blog! I too was a secret cookie thief during the Christmas season. I sent you a message on your website... I hope it will get to you! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marry Christmas - I didn't realize you were turning 80 til i got your update so happy birthday too! I am almost 30 now, graduated with an illustration degree and your books are my absolute favorite of all time. have a nice holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son and I really love all of your books! It's so wonderful to read all your creations. Though some titles are hard to find here in Manila, we scour every book shop that we find just to collect each and every one of them. Thank you for continuing to bring simple yet inspiring stories to children all around the globe! Happy Holidays! God bless! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you.we wish you&your family a loving christmas.may your 80th be special.my 6yrold son and I enjoy your books.in india we dont have all your titles,but we love what we have!!As a nursery teacher to use your books is an honour.i have enjoyed myself using your stories.

    ReplyDelete