Thursday, December 18, 2008

Japan Exhibit






Dear Friends,

I am fortunate to have been able to travel over the years. My visits to Japan have been very inspiring. In Japan, there are numerous Picture Book Museums, some small, some large, and it was during our visits to Japan that my wife Bobbie and I had the idea to build The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art in the U.S.


This year there was an exhibit of my work, including non-book-art, in Japan that is still on tour. Since I turned 75 I have cut back on my travels quite a bit, but I was so pleased to see photographs of the opening exhibit in Tokyo taken by Motoko, my assistant of many years, who is originally from Japan as well as more recent photos from the exhibition in Kyoto. I hope you will enjoy these pictures!


More soon,
Eric Carle

P.S.
This exhibit will be on view at the following locations in Japan in 2008-2009:
JR Kyoto Isetan until 28 December, 2008
JR Nagoya Takashimaya 17 February - 2 March, 2009
Sogo Museum of Art 3 April - 6 May, 2009
Sapporo Daimaru 13 May - 25 May, 2009







4 comments:

  1. Dear Eric—I love your work and am a huge fan. Where are you planning on opening the U.S. museum? Locally (near you) or?

    Best Regards,
    JKernica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mr. Carle, I was so happy to see that you have a blog! One of my greatest treasures is a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar that you drew a caterpillar in and signed (a gift from my Aunt Mary when I was very young). Here's wishing you all the best for a very wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mr Carle, I am one of your fan, so is my 2yr old. Last xmas I bought him "Do You Want to Be My Friend?" as a xmas gift, he love it so much~ He can even create his own story while flipping through the book!

    Will you be planning to have an exhibition in Singapore?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Carle,

    I didn't know until today that you had a blog. My family and I attended this exhibit in Tokyo. Seeing these photos brings back good memories of that day. It would be wonderful to see you in Japan some day.

    ReplyDelete